Everyone may occasionally feel blue or sad. These feelings are usually a normal reaction to life events such as grief, a symptom of some physical ailments or a side effect of some drugs and medical treatments. Yet they pass within a couple of days. When you have depression, it interferes with your ability to work, sleep, study, eat, and enjoy life. What’s more, it causes pain for those who love and care about you.
Depression is a common but serious illness and at the same time is the leading cause of disability in the world. But because depression is a mental illness, many people are often reluctant to seek help. M.D.Helen M. Farrell examines the symptoms and treatments of depression, and gives some tips for what might help to cure it:
If transcranial magnetic stimulation sounds way too scary (although in essence, it’s not) here’re 5 simple steps you should take already today to shield yourself from depression.
- Exercise: it increases your blood calcium, which stimulates dopamine release and helps to regulate your brain functions. Get more active. Incorporate yoga, swimming or jogging in your daily routine to start up your dopamine levels. Take a walk instead of taking a cab. Use stairs instead of elevators. Dance when no one is watching or sign yourself up for a dance class.
- Chocolate: it stimulates dopamine production in your brain. Theobromine in chocolate contains an amino acid tyrosine, from which dopamine is derived. It also makes your pulse race slightly, and raises blood-glucose levels. In addition to that, chocolate contains tryptophan, a precursor to neurotransmitter serotonin. chemicals that release endorphins, enhance chocolate’s reputation as a feel-good sweet.It is considered a source for feelings of happiness and pleasure.
- 5-htp: it improves your serotonin levels. 5-htp is a naturally occurring substance derived from the seed pods of Griffonia simplicifolia, a West African medicinal plant. In humans 5-htp acts as the precursor to serotonin, the neurotransmitter responsible for happiness. It is available in the form of supplement, and is used to cure conditions like anxiety, depression and sleep disorders. Be careful, it may have side-effects.
- Fall in love. Dopamine is all about pleasure, and what could be more pleasant than love? Feel love, as it’s a part of our deep inner being. Haven’t found your soulmate yet? Learn how to love yourself. Cultivate unconditional love. Practice all loving meditation.
- Manifest positive thinking: the glass is always half-full. Stop complaining. Use positive words to describe your life. Be grateful for what you’ve got so far, and dream about what’s coming for you in future. Remember, that you have all the power in the world to create your own dream life.
Hope this helps.